“A Turkish bath–that marble paradise of sherbert and sodomy. ” – George Gordon Noel Byron
I went to a hamam when visiting Turkey, Kemer region back in 2010. It was my first time and I must say quite a nice experience. It was in its own way a world within a world, a place of rest and closure shared by so many people, all from different backgrounds, nationalities, color and social status. It was in a sense a communal place of relaxation and eroticism coming from the steam, hot and cold water, bodies close to each other that without touching gave a sense of arousal. Afterwords, I went out to the walled enclosed swimming pool, lied on a chair-lounge and fell asleep. I have never felt so relaxed in my life.
- Istanbul: 24 Hours in Istanbul: Getting Legally Naked at the Ayasofya Hamam (jaunted.com)
- Bodrum Hamamı: The Turkish Bath of Bodrum (bodrum365.wordpress.com)
- On Being Pampered at The Bath of Sultan Suleiman The Magnificent in Istanbul, Turkey (trifter.com)
- Shower Time – You and Me in Istanbul (idpm.me)
- Hamam: The Window to Ottoman Life (conservationcenter.org.il)
- The Seventh Sense: Titanica (ken_ashford.typepad.com)